Your shopping cart is empty!
After trying her hand at a number of different aspects of the baking/cake decorating world Jill Blacker, of Edible Cake Toppers, identified a market within the market worth tapping into that would prove to suit both her business and family needs. Born from this was a successful online business producing edible image cake toppers and partyware.
1. How did your edible image business journey begin?
My journey began as a shop girl in a local bakery. I fell pregnant, left work to stay home with my newborn. It wasn't too long until work had asked me to come back however, I wasn't prepared to go back as a shopgirl, so I was offered a position out the back decorating the cakes. After a few years I went into business for myself decorating cakes. I soon cottoned on to the trend and simplicity of edible images.
After many years of endless late nights and long weekends, I decided to help mums on a budget create simple cakes themselves using edible images. I started on eBay, which grew rapidly at the time. After getting fed up with the growing fee's and constant rule changes, I started my own website. Flash forward 9 years and here I am today running a highly successful online business that helps mums and cake decorators achieve gorgeous cakes using edible images.
2. What has starting your own business meant for you?
It has enabled me to be at home with my family, work flexible hours, and live the life I enjoy living.
3. What have been/are the biggest challenges you face(d) in regard to starting/building/maintaining your business?
Finding the confidence to put yourself out there, and allow your business to be seen and grow.
4. What do you feel are the benefits of using edible images?
They are so easy! I honestly believe anyone can use them and create a cake with wow factor.
5. What is your favourite type of design to create?
I love creating precut shapes, using our cameo & fun designs.
6. What is the current trend you’re seeing in edible images?
Cake Wraps, used with drip cakes. I am loving this look!
7. What is the funniest/most unusual topper you’ve been asked to make?
Hens parties... wow you get some hilarious designs!
8. Do you have any tips you can share when either printing or applying edible images?
Keep your printer clean! Those track marks can be a real pain in the bum. Regular cleaning of the wheels is always a good idea. And we like to work in a pre-warmed up room.
9. What do you do for yourself within your life and business to help avoid or alleviate burnout?
Work the hours you want to work, don't feel like you have to be on everyone else's body clock. If you work best at night, work at night, and sleep in! If you work best during the day in the 9-5 type of mindset then roll with that. Guilt and pressure tend to create burnout so be ok with being selfish sometimes, and be ok with lazy days!
10. What is your career highlight to date?
I loved getting to supply cupcakes with our edible images to "Neighbours" & "Winners & Losers"