Your shopping cart is empty!
Whether you are storing blank or preprinted edible icing sheets they should be stored properly to retain freshness and ease of peeling from the backing sheet. Any contact with moisture will damage the edible icing sheet and make it difficult to apply on your sweet’s surface. This also applies to humid conditions. Very dry or hot conditions can also adversely affect your edible icing sheets.
Store your edible icing sheets in the original zip-lock bag, ensuring when you remove the edible icing sheet from the bag that you immediately rezip the bag. To be extra sure, we recommend storing edible icing sheets sealed in their original zip lock bag inside an airtight container or additional zip lock bag. Always store flat with the backing sheet side down at a comfortable room temperature. There is no need to store in the fridge.
With printed edible image icing sheets it is advisable to use the sheets as soon as possible. So as to avoid any colour fading. However, if you have already printed some edible image icing sheets in advance these can be stored away for later. Pop in an air-tight zip lock bag for up to 3 months, out of direct sunlight to avoid fading.
Application of Edible Icing Sheets
Edible icing sheets are extremely versatile as they can be applied to most icing finishes including buttercream, fondant, royal icing, marzipan, ice cream and chocolate. Always make sure that your fondant or buttercream frosting isn’t too watery, otherwise, your edible image will be adversely affected.
It is not recommended to place edible icing sheets directly onto whipped cream due to its high moisture content, which will be absorbed by the edible icing sheet and impact the quality of the image. If you wish to apply the edible image to whipped cream, apply to a thin layer of fondant or white chocolate first, to act as a barrier between the cream and the edible icing sheet.
It is advisable to apply your printed edible icing sheet after your cake has come to room temperature or just before it needs to be served so as to avoid moisture from the cake affecting your edible image.
Careful handling of your edible icing sheets is paramount to the success of your creation. Here’s a quick “how to” to assist you in applying your image(s) to your sweet treat.
1. Ensure you have clean dry hands when handling edible icing sheets
2. Cut edible image icing sheets to desired size or shapes and lay on a flat surface near your soon to be decorated sweets. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes at room temp to become malleable.
3. Have your sweet treat ready for application. Apply your edible image before applying other decorations.
4. Peel edible image away from the plastic backing sheet. If you have difficulty, try carefully sliding the backing sheet over the edge of your bench/table to release the edible icing sheet. (click here for more tips on edible icing sheets).
5. Place edible icing sheet or image on top of your sweet creation by holding the ends and applying the middle first. Gently smooth using your hands or a small roller. If air bubbles appear, just pop with a fine needle. If your icing surface is dry, a fine spray mist of water will help the icing sheet adhere.
6. Add further decorations as required.
(Finished cake by @rachaelsdesignacake)
"Before you apply, make sure your work area is clean and ready to go and have some acupuncture needles handy to get rid of any pesky air bubbles. I always apply images to fondant and would encourage it. Use a small amount of water so the surface is only just tacky .. then I can't stress enough ... take your time to apply, never rush it or you will end up having to do it all over again, which is never fun!"
If you use our Edible Image Supplies superior quality edible icing sheets in conjunction with high-quality edible ink, your edible image will be clear and vibrant.