Step 1 - make a birthday cake for your child's first birthday. Step 2 - baking and cake decorating becomes a hobby. Step 3 - your hobby becomes an obsession that turns into a great little business. This was the evolution process behind Nicole Lacina's Cake-ohh-lious cake business. Like so many of our customers, the joy of cake creation takes hold and unrealised creativity comes to the surface. Such a delightful way to develop a business and do something you truly love. Read more about Nicole's story here.
1. How did your sweets business or journey begin?
After making my son's first birthday cake a hobby turned into an obsession.
2. What has starting your own business meant for you?
A dream come true!
It's an absolute privilege to be able to custom cakes and cupcakes and create personalised mementos.
3. What have been/are the biggest challenges you face(d) in regard to starting/building/maintaining your business?
Balancing home and work life. Sometimes I feel like I live in the kitchen.
4. What do you feel are the benefits of using edible images?
Opened a whole new world for me! Love how quickly I can personalise images and apply them on cakes and cookies in less then half the timeframe of playing around with fondant.
5. What is your favourite type of treat/design to create?
Replicating something into a carved cake form and also making fondant toppers.
6. What is the current trend you’re seeing in edible images?
Corporate logo's on cookies, cupcakes and cakes. I think it's a great advertising strategy.
7. What is the funniest/most unusual sweet creation you’ve been asked to make?
Hens night requests involving a certain body anatomy.
Also thanks to Covid an increase in toilet paper roll cakes.
8. Do you have any tips you can share when either printing or applying edible images?
I use a sharp disposable blade for crisp edges, and sometimes paint around the edges to camouflage the cut area.
9. What is your “can’t live without” sweet making tool?
My KitchenAid mixer and spatula.
10. What do you do for yourself within your life and business to help avoid or alleviate burnout?
Try to turn off my phone and just chill out and watch a movie with my kids or take them to the park.
11. What is your career highlight to date?
Personally, I just love seeing the initial reaction on someone's face seeing their cake for the very first time, such a great satisfaction knowing you nailed it!