Your shopping cart is empty!
There is definitely a recurring theme of a love of baking - turning into a hobby - turning into a business amongst our customers. Michelle Wright developed her business Vanilla and Blossom Cakes exactly this way. How wonderful it is that so many people can turn their hobby into a business! It certainly makes for an enjoyable work-life!
1. How did your sweets business or journey begin?
I always loved baking and started as a hobby initially but in 2018 decided to make it my full-time gig.
2. What has starting your own business meant for you?
3. What have been/are the biggest challenges you face(d) in regard to starting/building/maintaining your business?
Time management and dealing with tricky or fussy clients. And learning when to say no.
4. What do you feel are the benefits of using edible images?
There are so many!! But it gives that extra pizazz to a cake or cupcakes or cookies.
5. What is your favourite type of treat/design to create?
I love anything with florals but second to that kids birthday cakes because their reactions when they see their cakes is priceless.
6. What is the current trend you’re seeing in edible images?
BLUEY!!! Oh my, I make 1-3 bluey cakes every weekend! Using Edible images of course.
7. What is the funniest/most unusual sweet creation you’ve been asked to make?
A Homer Simpson cake (which I am making this week actually).
8. Do you have any tips you can share when either printing or applying edible images?
Print the images a little in advance so they aren’t wet when you try to cut them because the ink will smudge. If it's going onto a cake always stick the edible image onto a thin piece of fondant first to avoid it bubbling.
9. What is your “can’t live without” sweet making tool?
10. What do you do for yourself within your life and business to help avoid or alleviate burnout?
Haha, I feel like I am ALWAYS working, I rarely get time out. But when I do I like to spend it with my kids. Take them out to do something or even just chill and watch a movie. Funnily enough, I love baking and cooking so sometimes I spend my days off baking things for my kids to take to school.
11. What is your career highlight to date?
Winning Brides Choice Award 2019. Super proud!