Your shopping cart is empty!
Tanja Kober (left in cover pic) of Choice Cakes is continuing her family's passion to supply cakes and cake decorating supplies to the folk of Melbourne. With the help of a great team, including talented cake decorator Steph (right in cover pic), Choice Cakes continue to supply, teach and inspire cake makers as well as create custom cakes for their own customers.
1. How did your cake/sweets/business journey begin?
Choice cakes celebrated its 25th year in business this year. My parents bought and have run the shop up until around 3 years ago, when they took a step back and I became manager.
2. What has starting your own business meant for you?
Taking over the business meant I could give up teaching and pursue my creative dreams and keep the family business going.
It also allows a good life/family/work balance and the ability to create a great creative and fun space for our amazing team to thrive.
3. What have been/are the biggest challenges you face(d) in regard to starting/building/maintaining your business?
One of the main struggles we seem to have is getting our name out there. Even though we have been around for 25 years, we still have people coming in on a daily basis saying “wow, I didn’t even know you were here!?”
4. What do you feel are the benefits of using edible images?
We love to use the edible images to add special detailing to a cake that would normally be either impossible or very very time consuming.
It also makes the range of cakes we offer almost endless.
5. What is your favourite type of treat/design to create?
At the moment we are loving the cake popsicle trend and cookies! And the drip cake will always be a favourite.
6. What is the current trend you’re seeing in edible images?
Currently we find that cake wraps are very popular as well as personalised photos.
7. What is the funniest/most unusual creation you’ve been asked to make?
We don’t often get asked to make unusual cakes but we are always up for a challenge. But our cake decorator Steph loves to get creative!
These are some of the cakes that she has made for her own birthdays and wedding!
8. Do you have any tips you can share when either printing or applying edible images?
We find that using a thin layer of piping gel is the best way to adhere images to fondant and buttercream.
It also helps to avoid any of the annoying little air bubbles that can occur under the image.
9. What is your career highlight to date?
We love to share our knowledge and experience with customers to help them create the perfect cake for their celebrations. It’s almost a proud parent feeling when they share what they have accomplished.